Mon-Fri: 8am-5:30pm | Sat: 8am-1pm




What You’re Legally Required to Do After an Auto Accident in Oregon

Getting into an auto accident can be traumatizing. You may suffer from an injury, your car could be severely damaged, and you might experience shock from the experience. However, as much as you can, you need to make sure you’re following the law in Oregon when you get into an accident. Otherwise, you could get into trouble.

The following is information on what you need to do legally after an auto accident.

Stop and Render Aid

Make sure that when the accident happens, you stop and render aid to anyone who is injured. This can involve giving them a hand if they need it and/or calling an ambulance as soon as possible. For example, if you hit someone, you cannot just drive away. This would be a hit-and-run, which is illegal and could land you behind bars. If you are the person who is injured, make sure you seek medical treatment as soon as possible.

Report the Accident

You are legally required to report the accident to the police. Call 9-1-1, wait for the police to come, and file a report. Be honest about everything that happened. If you lie, you could also get into trouble.

Exchange Information With the Other Driver

In Oregon, it’s necessary to exchange information with the other driver involved, whether or not the auto accident was your fault. Exchange your:

  • Names and contact information
  • Insurance policy number
  • License plate number
  • Driver’s license number

Then, call up your insurance provider ASAP to let them know about what happened.

Submit an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report

Within 72 hours of the accident, you need to submit an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report to the DMV if the damage to your vehicle or any other vehicle involved was over $2,500. You also need to report if there were any injuries or death.

According to the official website, the report needs to say the following:

  • Your name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and mailing address;
  • Information about the vehicle you were operating when the crash occurred, including vehicle license plate number, State where the vehicle is registered, vehicle identification number, year, make, and model; and
  • Insurance company name (not agent) and insurance policy number.
  • If you are required to file a report and do not, the DMV will issue you a suspension notice.

If you got into an accident and the damages were for less than $2,500, you can submit a report to the DMV if the other party doesn’t have insurance. You will have to note on your report that the auto accident doesn’t meet the requirements.

You can find the Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report paperwork here.

Other Information You Should Collect

You’re not legally required to do this, but you should also collect photographs of the scene of the accident, your visible injuries, and the damage to your car and other belongings. Also, gather witness statements, note the locations of any cameras, and go to the hospital for treatment ASAP, so you have a chance of getting a settlement.

Contact Zbinden & Curtis Today

Zbinden & Curtis, a Portland personal injury law firm, cares about accident victims, and we’re ready to help you with your auto accident in Portland. We fight tooth and nail for our clients to get them the settlement they deserve in their time of need.


Contact us today to learn more by calling (503) 287-5000 or contacting us on our website for a free case evaluation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Latest Posts


Free Injury Case Evaluation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Practice Areas

Auto Accidents: Importance of Witness Statements

Discover how witness statements can significantly impact the outcome of auto accident claims. Zbinden & Curtis Attorneys At Law in Portland, OR, offers seasoned...

Autonomous Vehicles and Their Legal Impact on Personal Injury

Explore the legal implications of autonomous vehicle-related accidents with Zbinden & Curtis Attorneys At Law in Portland, OR. We offer seasoned support in personal...

Road Conditions That Could Lead To An Auto Accident

Zbinden & Curtis Attorneys At Law explores how Portland's varying road conditions can lead to auto accidents and offers guidance on what to do...

The Consequences Of Texting While Driving

Understand the serious risks of texting while driving and the legal implications with Zbinden & Curtis Attorneys At Law, providing comprehensive support for auto...

How To Appeal A Denied Insurance Claim After a Car Accident

Understand the steps to appeal a denied car insurance claim and explore alternative resolution methods. Expert legal guidance in Portland....

Passenger Rights in an Auto Accident in Oregon

As a passenger involved in an auto accident in Oregon, explore your legal options with Zbinden & Curtis Attorneys At Law to ensure fair...